It's interesting that this movie came on about the time my sabbatical started, which happened to coincide with Groundhog's Day this year (the celebration not the film). In a sense this journey of mine could be similar to Bill Murray's in that particular movie. Without appointments, pastoral care visits, sermon writing, committees, meetings, and a fair amount of internet surfing. My days could very easily be a monotonous repetition and if not careful I could fall prey to the same temptations and feelings of Murray's character in the movie. Granted, I have yet to dress up like Clint Eastwood as the no-name stranger and rob an armored car, but I can relate. At least I could until Lent hit.
Rather than giving something up for lent I started a new spiritual discipline. I've been following Ignatius' Daily Examen. Five questions to ask oneself in review of the day while in the presence of the Triune God. As corny as this may sound, it is amazing! I highly recommend the experience to anyone and everyone. But this is not a spiritual practice to be observed on a single occasion but instead one should practice it regularly. After all it is a practice and as my 4 year old son often reminds me when he beats me at a Wii game, "You just have to keep practicing Dad."
The examen has been teaching me to view and enjoy life slowly and deliberately as God's gift to us. As such it has brought even more joy to things I love to do, such as brewing, cooking (drinking and eating), manual labor, fishing, music, and time with my family. What could be nicer than having the Holy Spirit make your life better just by reviewing it?
May St. Gambrinus watch over you until the next post - my lone follower.
No comments:
Post a Comment